Our Club History
Currow GAA was formerly founded in 1911 when two teams Wolfe Tones and Currans both part of the parish of Killentierna joined together. This is where Currow got its team colours black & amber - one team wore black and the other team wore amber. During the club's early years the club was linked with close neighbours especially Scartaglin when players from each club would frequently swap sides with the neighbouring club.
The Currow Wolfe Tones continued to play GAA and were mentioned in dispatches in
1912 when they played John Mitchells at Currow.It seems Currow was a haven for
football and had a junior team in existence called Currow Emmetts for many years
prior to 1911. The team was mentioned in newspaper reports in 1906 & 1912 where
they played Castleisland Geraldines (junior team) on both occasions.
1925 The East Kerry GAA Board was founded. Dick Fitzgerald was the first
chairman of the Board, and Paul Russell was the first secretary, and a Currow
man Humphrey Murphy was on the formation committee of the Board.
Delegates from the following clubs the first meeting of the new Board: Killarney, Currow, Farranfore, Firies, Kenmare, Headford, Kilcummin and Killorglin.
The Club grew in strength and in 1928 Currow were participated in the Senior
County championship where they lost to a more experienced Strand Rd team.
In 1931, Farranfore, Ballymac, Cordal, Scartaglen and Currow broke away from the division and joined with Castleisland GAA club to form the Castleisland District League. Currow won the District league in 1949 and 1950.
In 1938 the Sportsfield was given over to the parish by The Land Commission from The Meredith's Estate.
In 1971, Cordal, Currow and Scartaglen rejoined the East Kerry Board. Currently, The East Kerry GAA Board is made up of 13 clubs; Cordal, Dr.Crokes, Currow, Firies, Fossa, Glenflesk, Gneeveguilla, Kilcummin, Legion, Listry, Rathmore, Scartaglen and Spa.
Currow have won the East Kerry Championship on three occasions since their
formation in 1911. The first time they won was in 1945 with the Shanahan
brothers. The club contested the East Kerry Championship finals in 1992 (won),
1997 & 1998 (won). In 1996 the club won the East Kerry League Division 1 title
and in 2008 they won the East Kerry League Division 2 title with a win over
local rivals Firies.
1982 the club won first of its County titles when they won the County Novice
Championship with hard win over local neighbours Scartaglin. In 1988 the club
won the second of their county titles when they won the County Junior
Championship against East Kerry rivals Rathmore. In 1997 Currow contested the
Intermediate Championship final but lost to Kilcummin on the day. In 2008 the
senior team won the East kerry League Division Two title and in 2009 they
contested the County Intermediate Championship final against fellow East Kerry
rivals Spa but didn't win on that day. In 2008 the Junior team won the
McElligott Cup and they won the County League title with a hard fought win over
An Ghaeltacht. In their centenary year 2011, the senior team won the East Kerry
Division 1 league title.
With the County League Currow were in Division 3 for many years and won
promotion to Division 2 in 1988 and onto the heights of Division 1 in 1990. The
club was playing in Division 2 for several years and are now playing in Division
3 since 2011. Hopefully the club will gain promotion in the near future. Seamus
Scanlon received the highest accolade of being chosen as an All-Star in 2009
which was a proud moment for Seamus and the club.
Throughout it's history the club has been linked with song, dance and drama
where in the early 1970's where they won the All-Ireland Finals - a fantastic
achievement for a small rural club. Since then the club have competed in varied
competitions in various competitions locally.
Another Chapter in the history of the club was completed when the Club GAA crest
and club website were officially launched. Johnny Brosnan put a lot of effort
into the design of the crest and it captures the essence of the parish. The
three bridges represent the Brown Flesk River flowing through the three villages
of the Parish - Currow, Currans and Kilsarcan. The hurling sticks represent the
various camogie and hurling teams that were set up at one stage in the club. The
black and amber colours represent the club colours.
In 2011, the club's centenary year, it recently opened its updated dressing rooms, pitch and new stand for patrons and people of the parish.
Information Request. Please contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org if any person has information on the history of the club.
Special Thanks: To Currow GAA Club Officers for their support in the continuing development of this website. To my Daughter Jennifer Brosnan, Jim Connor (Scartaglin), Con Dennehy, Paddy O' Sullivan, Kerry O' Sullivan, Thomas Brosnan & Johnny Scanlon for providing information for the website.